Tuesday, February 23, 2016

My 20 Favorite Names for Female Characters

Me again! Today, I'll be discussing my favorite heroine names for your characters. I, myself, am trying to decide on a name for my leading lady in a story on Wattpad, I figured this might help not only you, but me too! So, in no particular order...


1. Amanda
The name Amanda is a Latin name. It means "Lovable" or "Worthy of love".
Possible Nicknames: Mandy, Amy
I think this name would be so cute for a redhead! Although, no matter what the hair color, it's a cute name on its own.

2. Katherine
This name is Greek. It means "Pure".
Possible Nicknames: Kathy, Kate, Katie, Kat 
The name of one of my favorite roles on the stage, Katherine Plumber from Newsies. It's a gentle name with a whole bunch of cute nicknames to use!

3. Amelia
The name Amelia is a Latin name. It means "Work".
Possible Nicknames: Amy, Millie (<my personal favorite),  Mia
Again, this would be such a cute name for a redhead, and not just because of Amelia Pond from Doctor Who! It just sounds like such a ginger name to me. And this is my favorite name for a girl nicknamed Millie.

4. Julia 
The name Julia is a Latin name. It means "Youthful".
Possible Nicknames: Jules, (<I love that one!)
This name is a classic in my opinion. It sounds so lovely and sophisticated.

5. Beth
The name Beth is English. It means "God is my oath"
Possible Nicknames: Bethy 
I know a girl named Beth, and she goes by Bethy. Also, my middle name is Beth, I might be a little biased. XD

6. Lucy 
The name Lucy is an English name. It means "Light".
Possible Nicknames: Lulu, Luce
Lucy is a cute name and a classic one, too. This name would suit a blonde, although some people think of Lucille Ball, who is a redhead.

7. Roxanne
This name is an English name. It means "Dawn"
Possible Nicknames: Roxy, Annie, Rocky, Ro 
This name would be very cute for a spunky and fiery character, I think. Maybe a redhead? ;)

8. Elizabeth
This name is Hebrew. Like Beth, it means "God is my oath"
Possible Nicknames: Lizzy, Liz, Beth, Eliza, Liza, Ellie, Betty
This name is definitely a favorite of mine. Plus, it comes with a lot of adorable nicknames! It's very classy. :)

9. Emily
The name Emily is an English name. It means "To strive" or "To excel" or "To rival".
Possible Nicknames: Emmy, Emma, Millie
I know a few girls named Emily and they are some of my favorite people. They're all so sweet!

10. Lauren/Laura
The name Lauren is American. It comes from the name Laurel, so that's its actual meaning.
The name Laura is Latin. It also means "Laurel"
Possible Nicknames: Laurie, Ren (for Lauren)
The name Laura is the name of one of my favorite actresses on Broadway, Laura Osnes. She is the perfect little cupcake with the best buttercream icing and she has a beautiful voice! And, I really just like the name Lauren.

11. Eve
The name Eve is Hebrew. It means "Life"
Possible Nicknames: Evie, Eevee, Evvy, Vi
Eevee is the name of the girl in my favorite book, Now That You're Here. It's sweet and innocent, and it has a nice ring to it. I just love it.

12. Audrey
The name Audrey is English. It means "Noble strength"
Possible Nicknames: Audie, Drew, Aud
This one might have something to do with Audrey Hepburn. Oooh! You could also call her Holly, or Gollightly! (Hahaha.)

13. Rose
This name is English. It means... Well... "Rose"
Possible Nicknames: Well, considering this is a nickname, here are some names you could use for her: Rosalyn, Rosemary, Roseanne, Rosemarie.
I really like this name because of Rose Tyler from Doctor Who, but it sounds lovely and sophisticated, too. Perfect for a blonde, I think!

14. Ava
Ava is a Latin name. It means "Like a bird"
Possible Nicknames: It is pretty short, but here's what I've gathered: Avy, Avi, V
I think this is such a sweet name. Though it is popular, it sounds unique and sophisticated.

15. Kelly/Kelley/Kelli/Kellie
Kelly is an Irish name. It means "Bright-headed"
Possible Nicknames: Kel, Kay
This is the name of my mother, and she'll probably hate me for putting this on my list, but I love this name! A lot of pretty middle names can go with this, too. (Lynn, Anne, etc.)

16. Noelle
Noelle is French. It means "Born on Christmas Day"
Possible Nicknames: EllieElle, Nelly
I love this name so, so much! Perfect for a blonde in my opinion. If your character was born in December, this is the name for her!

17. Kathleen
This name is Irish. It means "Pure"
Possible Nicknames: Kathy, Kat, Kate, Katie
I know a girl named Kathleen and she is probably the coolest, sweetest person I have ever met.

18. Fallon
The name Fallon is Irish. It means "Of a ruling family"
Possible Nicknames: Fal, Lynn
This name is perfect for a fierce or a sweet character. I'm actually using it right now in a story I'm writing! I'd imagine Fallon as a brunette.

19. Annabeth
This name is Hebrew. It means "God is my oath" or "God is gracious"
Possible Nicknames: Annie, A.B., Bethy, AnnaB
I would love to name a child or character Annabeth, but when I do, I'll only receive comments talking about Percy Jackson. But I still love this name!

20. Kara
The name Kara is an Italian name. It means "Dear"
Possible Nicknames: Kari, Kay, KK
Also a name of one of my favorite Broadway Actresses, Kara Lindsay. I'm using this name in a story of mine, and I think it's the cutest name!

Well, those are my 20 favorite female character names. I hope you like them as much as I do! But they're mine! Just kidding! :)

Happy writing!

Much Love, Hayden Beth ^-^

1 comment:

  1. I know a few Emilys myself, hahaha. My family calls me "Emmy" sometimes, and I've always LOVED the name Amelia with Mia or Millie as a nickname. In fact, when I was 11 and just discovering the internet, my name on a lot of websites was Amelia, because it's also a Spanish variation of Emily. :D

    And Anna's middle name is Elizabeth, so she gets called "Anna Beth" sometimes. :) I love your list!

    ReplyDelete