Tuesday, June 21, 2016

My 20 Favorite Names for Male Characters

Awhile back, I did a post about my favorite female character names. I thought I might do the same for my favorite male names, too! (A lot of these are the names of my friends, whoops.)


1. Alexander
The name Alexander is Greek. It means "Defender of men"
Possible Nicknames: Alex, Al, Xander
I love this name, it's classic and, obviously, ALEXANDER HAMILTON. Surprise, surprise.

2. William 
The name William is English. It means "Strong–willed warrior"
Possible Nicknames: Will, Willy (if you're looking for a more southern twang).
I mostly like this name for the nickname, Will. I think it's such a smooth name. (If that makes any sense...)

3. Shawn / Sean
The name Shawn is Irish. It means "God is gracious" or "Gift from God"
Possible Nicknames: I actually can't think of any... Let me know if you have any ideas!
I like this name because of one of my favorite characters, Shawn Spencer from Psych. Haha... whoops.

4. David
The name David is Hebrew. It means "Beloved"
Possible Nicknames: Dave, Davey
David is a very classic name. I think it's a perfect name for any age your character is.

5. Joseph
The name Joseph is Hebrew. It means "Jehova increases"
Possible Nicknames: Joe, Joey
I love this name because of one of my favorite people in the Bible, Joseph of the Old Testament. Very classic, and it comes with some fun nicknames.

6. Aidan
The name Aidan is Irish. "Little and fiery"
Possible Nicknames: Danny ??? Let me know if you think of any.
This is an awesome name because it rhymes with mine. No, really, I have a friend named Aiden and he's one of the coolest kids I know. *finger gun and wink*

7. Nathan 
The name Nathan is Hebrew. It means "God has given"
Possible Nicknames: Nate, Nat
My brother is named Nathon, with an O-N. There are many different ways to spell this name, be creative!

8. Christopher 
The name Christopher is Greek. It means "Carrier of Christ"
Possible Nicknames: Chris, Topher
I FRICKIN LOVE THIS NAME OH MY WORD. I don't even know why. I just... Love it.

9. Samuel
The name Samuel is Hebrew. It means "the Name of God"
Possible Nicknames: Sam, Sammy
I love this name for no apparent reason. It rolls off the tongue so smoothly, and the nicknames are pretty cool, too.

10. Joshua
The name Joshua is Hebrew. It means "Jehova is generous"
Possible Nicknames: Josh
This is the name of one of my favorite singers, Josh Groban. HECK YEAH. WOOT.

11. Matthew
The name Matthew is Hebrew. It means "Gift of God"
Possible Nicknames: Matt, Matty
I've always liked this name... It was the name of one of my childhood crushes, I thought it was a beautiful name. Ever since I was 5... *swoon*

12. Jonathan
The name Jonathan is Hebrew. It means "Gift of Jehova"
Possible Nicknames: Jon, Jonny, Jonny-Boy, Nathan, Nate
This is a classic. It's just so pretty. I love it.

13. Theodore
The name Theodore is Greek. It means "Gift of God"
Possible Nicknames: Theo
I really like this name because of the cute nickname... Theo. I always thought it was adorable!

14. Aaron
The name Aaron is Hebrew. It means "High mountain"
Possible Nicknames: AY-AY-RON. HAHAHA
I love this name because of my favorite Broadway actor, Aaron Tveit. Look him up, he's beautiful.

15. James
The name James is an English variation of Jacob, but it is Hebrew. It means "Supplanter"
Possible Nicknames: Jamie, Jay
This one is so classic, I've already named one of my characters James. I wish I could use it again!

16. Miles
The name Miles is English. It means "Soldier" or "Merciful"
Possible Nicknames: IDK, bruh.
I love this name!! Although, I do have a friend named Miles, and so whenever I use it, all of my other friends are all, "Wait, did you name him after Miles?" "Wow, that is so Miles, lol," or "OMG I could totes see him doing that!" Thanks, guys...

17. Spencer
The name Spencer is English. It means "House steward"
Possible Nicknames: Spence
 I have a friend named Spencer and he's pretty cool, I guess. Just kidding, he's really cool. And he has an awesome name, too.

18. Thomas
The name Thomas is Aramaic. It means "Twin"
Possible Nicknames: Tom, Tommy
I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY I LOVE THIS NAME SO MUCH BUT I DO?! No, but it sounds super cool for some reason. I don't know... I just really like it. Bye.

19. Maxwell
The name Maxwell is Scottish. It means "Great stream"
Possible Nicknames: Max
I honestly like the nickname better than the actual name itself, but Maxwell's pretty cool, too.

20. Adam
The name Adam is Hebrew. It means "Son of the red earth"
Possible Nicknames: legit none
I like this name because it's not very common. You don't hear it unless you're in Sunday School, and I think that's why it stands out to me. (Plus, I know a guy named Adam and he's so sweet!)

Well, my friends, this is my Top 20 Male Names. I hope you enjoyed. Let me know a few your favorite male names! (no one reads this. Like, ever. So, whateves you don't have to, fam)

Happy Writing, folks! ^-^

1 comment:

  1. Sam, Will, and Maxwell. Yuusss. I've given two of my characters the names Sam and Will (prior to meeting them both at CC...) and I've been itching to use Maxwell. XD (or, you know, MaxON)

    ReplyDelete